Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

12 July 2010

Dry and Weary Land - Psalm 63

It seems more than coincindental that I return from a trip to Colorado to find myself ready to blog about Psalm 63.

O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land where there is no water (verse 1).

The Psalmist compares his longing for God to longing for water and strength while in a dry and weary land. This description makes me think of driving through sections of Colorado that are sparse grasslands growing mostly sagebrush and cacti. Crops grow only in irrigated circles. That is a "dry and weary land" that increases thirst and saps energy.

The Psalmist is refreshed when he beholds God's "glory and power" in the sanctuary. Worship is refreshment. God's steadfast love moves the Psalmist to praise.

God's love is so satisfying that the Psalmist finds more than mere fluid:

My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food,
and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,
when I remember you upon my bed,
and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
for you have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me (verses 5-8).

Because God has always provided more than we needed, we can meditate on His goodness when we lie awake at night. We can stop tossing and turning, instead resting calmly in God's goodness and praising Him for His faithfulness. Because He shelters us under His protecting wings, we can sing for joy. We can cling to Him, knowing that the bond does not depend on our own strength, but on God's unfailing sustenance. He will never let us go.

The Psalm concludes by affirming the destruction of those who seek our harm in contrast to the joy of those who trust in God: "...all who swear by him shall exult, for the mouths of liars will be stopped" (verse 11).

It may seem as if those who misrepresent us to others are gaining a victory over us, but we can trust God to finally and effectively stop the mouths of liars. God is a God of love and truth. He will not allow lies to triumph.

While we travel through the dry and weary land of this world, we can trust God to be with us and we can rejoice in His constant care.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home