Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

04 January 2010

Matthew One: Reconstructive Surgery

It's been some time since I've provided an update on my "book-boy" Matthew.

During the last part of 2009, I was busy with many writing projects. One of those was writing an initial draft of Matthew Three as my 2009 NaNoWriMo novel. Matthew Four remains in the gestational stage. Matthew Two is an ungainly adolescent. And Matthew One has reached maturity, but now requires some reconstructive surgery.

He's lying anesthetized on a table (see T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" here for the literary allusion).

I feel like a surgeon entering the operating theater for the first time. My heart is pounding. My hands are shaking. I am assailed by doubts and fears: Will he survive the knife? Will the operation make him a better book-boy?

My hands are poised over the keyboard...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home