Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

21 March 2010

Resting in Peace (Psalm 49)

When I wake in the night and can't get back to sleep, I try to pray God's words back to him by repeating sections of Psalms. But when I woke early this morning, I just couldn't seem to recall very many; my mind was full of family and financial concerns.

Finally getting up, I read Psalm 49. If you have ever felt burdened by the inability to get ahead financially, read this Psalm.

Why should I fear in time of trouble,
when the iniquity of those who
cheat me surrounds me,
those who trust in their wealth
and boast of the abundance of their riches?
Truly no man can ransom another,
or give to God the price of his life,
for the ransom of their life is costly
and can never suffice,
that he should live on forever
and never see the pit (5-9).

When I fear for the future and worry about finances, I can know that earthly wealth is not the important thing; it cannot secure eternal life. No person can save another from hell.

The Psalm demonstrates in verses 10-14 that everyone dies and all their wealth is left to others; the foolish are "appointed for Sheol" and the "upright will rule over them in the morning" (14).

But God will ransom my soul
from the power of Sheol,
for he will receive me (15).

God ransoms my soul through the finished work of Christ. I can rest in the comfort of knowing my eternal salvation is secure. Thanks be to God!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home