Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

15 March 2010

A ready scribe

"Monday, Monday," sang the Mamas and The Papas, "so good to me. Monday mornin' it was all I hoped it would be."

Monday morning is the time I assess my work for the week and try to figure out how I will get the most crucial of it accomplished.

This morning I was thankful to count only 14 project sticky notes (down from a high of 24 and 21 last time I counted). Although I don't include personal projects in my sticky note count, I really should add the sticky note proclaiming, "TAXES," as number 15 since we are now only one month from the due date for that annual misery and our tax preparer would probably appreciate receiving our information this week.

Even if I count 15 projects, it is an encouraging reduction from 21 projects and reinforces my positive attitude after reading verse one of Psalm 45:

My heart overflows with a pleasing theme;
I address my verses to the king;
my tongue is like the pen of a ready scribe.

My heart does overflow with the pleasing theme of God's sovereignty and goodness. He is the king to whom I address my verses (as well as my prose). The movements of my fingers on the keyboard are my pen strokes.

This blog is called "Ascribelog" because it is the log of a scribe and because its purpose is to ascribe glory to God. Because I think of myself as a scribe, the first verse of Psalm 45 seemed meaningful to me.

The Psalm is called "A Love Song" and sings the praises of a mighty king who rides victoriously, not for the cause of truth, justice, and the American way, but for "the cause of truth, meekness, and righteousness" (4). The arrows of this eternal king are "sharp in the heart of the king's enemies" and the "peoples fall" under him (5).

He is more than a fierce and mighty military leader. He is a glad and pleasing person. He has been anointed with "the oil of gladness" and his robes are "fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia." He is a great architect and musician who lives in "ivory palaces" and rejoices in "stringed instruments" (7-8). And his queen stands beside him in the "gold of Ophir" (9).

Now we begin to see why Psalm 45 is called "A Love Song." The Psalmist obviously loves his king, and the king loves his queen. The Psalmist addresses the queen, encouraging her to forget her people and bow to the king (10-11). The "all glorious" princess in many-colored "robes interwoven with gold," followed by an impressive retinue, enters the palace of the king with "joy and gladness" (13-15). Her sons will become princes in "all the earth" and their name will be remembered to all generations (16-17).

The pageantry of a beautiful bride entering the palace of a wealthy king pictures for us the majesty and beauty of Christ's church entering the palace of the eternal King. Christ's love for his church is the ultimate love story upon which all love songs written about true love are based.

The Mamas and The Papas bemoaned "Monday mornin'" because it "couldn't guarantee that Monday evenin' you would still be here with me."

Monday morning is good to me and Monday evening will still be good to me, because I (and all believers) have the sure guarantee that Christ the King will be here with his church on earth and will one day bring us into his perfect palace. There we will sing the eternal Love Song at the marriage supper of the Lamb:

Hallelujah!
For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and exult
and give him the glory,
for the marriage of the Lamb has come,
and his Bride had made herself ready;
it was granted her to clothe herself
with fine linen, bright and pure (Rev. 19:6b-8a).

May your Monday morning be good to you. May your heart overflow with a pleasing theme as you address your verses or your work to the King. May your tongue, your hands, and your heart be like the pen of a ready scribe.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Norlan De Groot said...

Thank you for helping to put my week into perspective!

3/15/10, 9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home