Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

21 July 2005

Balance

The concept of balance has occupied my mind a lot lately. I not only balance many different commitments, but I have also been contemplating balance in genre and register.

Why must a writer be fenced into either a fiction or non-fiction track? Isn't it possible for someone to write well in both genres? I know that is: Marilynne Robinson is a prime example.

And is it possible to write with literary excellence, but still appeal to a popular audience? Well, yes: Gilead is a prime example.

I don't want to stake a claim in either the fiction or non-fiction camp. i want to be free to pitch my tent in either one. And I don't want to live under a tarp, but I don't need separate sleeping rooms and a screen porch either.

It's a matter of balance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home