Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

09 July 2005

War of the Worlds

Yesterday afternoon my husband, daughter, and I watched The War of the Worlds at matinee prices. I'm really glad we didn't pay regular admission.

Never having read The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells, I can't compare the movie to the novel. But I suspect the movie's primary story line about a divorced dad alienated from his kids was not part of the original alien-invasion tale whose radio broadcast caused mass panic.

The divorced dad's struggle to reclaim the affection and respect of his children interested me more than his struggle to save their lives, but wasn't interesting enough for me to recommend the movie. I agreed to see it only because it was a way of spending time with my husband and daughter. We had a good time together, but going to suspenseful movies is not my favorite thing.

The thing I really hate about going to the theater is sitting through the previews. It's bad enough to pay good money and watch disturbing images in a movie that I choose to watch out of my own volition, but it's appalling to be subject to horrible visual and auditory stimuli being indelibly impressed on my mind without choice.

Yesterday's previews included a film called Cry Wolf, apparently about a serial murderer on a college campus, and The Devil's Rejects, which is absolutely evil incarnate. And, oh, yes! The one that really scared--and perhaps scarred--me: Willie Wonka with a very feminine Johnny Depp in the title role.

My suggestion: attend weekday matinees and come in at least ten minutes after showtime. That way you can avoid most of the disturbing previews and still find a good seat, not to mention saving admision costs!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home