Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

21 October 2005

Vulgate

I've been translating the book of John from the Vulgate, and I've been translating it at the rate of a chapter per week. At the same time, I've been reviewing Wheelock's with an online group at the rate of a chapter per week. No wonder I have so much difficulty getting anything else accomplished!

The translation project has been a bit overwhelming, but I have enjoyed looking closely at the passages and seeing how different Bible translations compare to the Latin. I find that I am pretty familiar with the contents of John right now. I also have a new understanding of and appreciation for the value of seminarians learning to translate from the original languages.

I am on schedule to complete the book of John before Thanksgiving. And after the first of the year, I intend to begin another Latin translation project. I have decided to tackle Romans, because I am interested in its doctrine as well as the beautiful comfort of passages like the eighth chapter.

These Latin translation projects are to complete the foreign language requirement for my bachelor's degree; a degree that I hope, the good Lord willing, to receive (after a more than twelve-year marathon) next May from the University of Iowa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home