Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

22 September 2005

Autumnal Equinox

Today at 5:23 p.m. (CDT) is the Autumnal Equinox. Don't you just love the way that rolls off the tongue? Say it aloud right now. Lovely, isn't it? It sings.

I try to celebrate the equinoxes by treating myself to lunch. My plan for today is to pick up an order of Super Nachos from Taco John's. I like to sit in the restaurant and write as I eat, but I have a work commitment that will likely preclude that today.

Today the hours of light and the hours of dark will be equal. It seems somehow approriate that I've been thinking a lot about balance in the writer's life.

Balancing my time is not as difficult as balancing my mind. I can schedule my hours so that I maintain a good balance between work and family, but my focus is a different matter. It seems that a writer must constantly be observant and alert to creative impulses, but that writer's focus is often suppressed when spending time with family members. I feel that I am able to focus on only one at a time, generally at the other's expense.

I am trying to prioritize the Lord above both and trusting that He will keep me from falling off the balance beam in my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home