Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

16 January 2006

Translating Romans

We had another two great sermons yesterday; the evening sermon with a text from the final verses of Romans 8 was especially good. That beautiful doxology is one of the primary reasons why I chose Romans for my current Latin translation project.

Last night's sermon made me even more eager to reach chapter 8, but I've learned a great deal in only the first two chapters.

Translating is a wonderful way to examine the nuances of a scripture text. Even though my work is with the Vulgate, it has shown me how much can be learned through the careful examination necessary in translation.

And it has convinced more than ever of the necessity for requiring original language study as part of a seminary education.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home