Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

13 October 2006

Excuses, Excuses

When I began this blog, I promised myself that I would never begin an entry by apologizing for the length of time since the last one. And that I would never claim that overused excuse of being busy.

It's been over a month since my last entry, however, and all I can say is that I've been---well---busy.

I know most people feel as if they're just as busy as they could possibly be. Even that carrot of having more time during retirement can be elusive. Most retired folks I know say things like, "I'm busier than ever" and "I don't know how I got it all done when I worked."

Sometimes it seems to me that--for as busy as I am--I should be earning a lot more money. Then I think of the many people who would like to quit their full-time job in order to write and remind myself that I was fortunate enough to be able to do just that. My work is a blessing.

But my work has a parasitical element. Since I have a home office, it's difficult to get away from my work. And since I have constant deadlines, it's difficult to find an opportunity to get away. I have this physical presence of my work always with me, like a parasite that absorbs my energy.

And when my work becomes too busy, I feel like Humphrey Bogart when he wearily climbs back into the "African Queen," covered with blood-sucking leeches.

So today I'm reminding myself that leeches were once used for healing.

2 Comments:

Blogger blackhat said...

Glenda as you emulate Bogart I hope you're not smoking a big cigar too.

10/13/06, 11:03 AM  
Blogger Glenda said...

No cigars, but I must confess that chocolate helps me deal with stress.

10/13/06, 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home