Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

28 June 2007

Pantoum

I learned a long time ago that I am more productive in my writing when I have an assignment or have to meet a deadline. Since freelance writing consists primarily of deadlines, that works out well. Most of my work is finished just prior to deadline.

I find, however, that I often fail to carve out time for creative efforts. For the thirteen years I juggled home and work commitments with bachelor degree commitments, I had a good excuse. But we're in our third year of the empty nest and it's been over a year since I graduated from the University of Iowa, so I stand--head down, shoulders drooped, and limp arms hanging--without excuse.

Therefore, I've decided to give myself assignments. My first assignment will be to write a poem in a form that I've never used: the pantoum.

According to Robert Wallace in the yellowing pages of my copy of Writing Poems, a pantoum is a Malayan form. It contains an indefinite number of a b a b quatrain stanzas with lines 2 and 4 of each stanza becoming lines 1 and 3 of the following stanza. The carry-over lines are called repetons. The sequence ends with a quatrain that uses lines 1 and 3 of the first stanza in reversed order.

It seems similar to the sestina (which I've written) and especially the villanelle (which I've also written), except even more repetitive--and perhaps more difficult.

With any repetitive form like this, I think the trick is to come up with lines you really like--so you can bear hearing them repeated.

Before I even begin, I'm going public with my assignment. The reason is twofold: to force accountability, but also in the hope that one of my many readers will join me.

How about it? Anyone want to write and compare pantoums this week?

1 Comments:

Blogger g'mavw said...

I can surely tell you that I cannot join you in writing 'a pantoum' but I will wait patiently to read yours!

6/29/07, 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home