Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

18 January 2008

Recognizing and Repenting

When one is raised in the context of regular corporate worship and daily family devotions, it becomes all too easy to think about sin in a vague way and simply pray, "Forgive our sins," without being struck by the serious nature of each personal sin.

Some years ago, I realized that genuine repentance can occur only after recognizing the sin in one's life. I've made it my practice to pray that I and my family members will recognize and repent from our sins. Recently that prayer's being answered in new ways and I find it a far from comfortable feeling.

Nearly every time I think critically about a fault of some other person, the Lord brings to my mind a way in which I commit the very same sin.

It's a humbling experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home