Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

02 July 2009

Dirge into Doxology

I admit there are times when I need to work at turning dirge into doxology by changing negative thoughts into positive praise.

By nature I am inclined to be a "glass half-empty" person, and circumstances often create chronic negative thinking patterns.

Being outside and seeing the beauty of God's creation helps turn my thoughts inside out.

The first verse of Psalm 103 sings in my mind and my spirit soars:

Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!

The next four verses are meaingful as well as effective for turning dirge into doxology:

Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity,

who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

Our minister echoes those words after the partaking of the elements when we participate in communion with the Lord and His people during the Lord's Supper. The sacrament refocuses my thoughts from my trivial problems to my great Savior. Hearing God's Word proclaimed during worship fills my soul with peace and praise.

I try to maintain an attitude of praise during the week through actively changing thinking patterns by praying praise. Revelation 4:11 is one of my favorite prayers:

Worthy are you, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they existed and were created.

One of the best antidotes for negative thinking is to read Romans 8. The whole chapter is magnificent and its "more than conquerors" conclusion is a glorious doxology. At times, however, I find its entirety elusive.

When my spirit groans and I see only groaning in creation, I remind myself that "the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed in us" (verse 18).

Then my dirge turns to doxology.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Betty said...

Glenda...I was drawn to read your blog page tonight...thanks for the dirge to doxology encouragement...my soul needed that blessing!

7/4/09, 11:43 PM  
Blogger Gerhard said...

Glenda, what a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing. I might come back and ask for permission to use your great phrase "dirge to doxology" in my own blog http://theChristianPainCoach.Blogspot.com.

2/13/12, 10:00 PM  
Blogger Gerhard said...

Glenda, would you be interested in writing a blog post of encouragement for people who suffer from chronic pain for my blog The Christian Pain Coach? Unfortunately, all I can offer in return is a back link!

Gerhard
ThePainCoach at gmail dot com.

2/13/12, 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home