Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

31 January 2010

The Last of the First

Today is the last day of the first month in 2010.

Are you calling it "two thousand-ten" or "twenty-ten"?

An argument for "twenty-ten" is that we didn't say "one thousand, nine hundred-ninety-nine." But I never heard anyone say "twenty-oh-nine" either. Personally, "twenty-ten" sounds like a shotgun caliber and I'm sticking with "two thousand-ten," but it's really irrelevant.

On another New Year note, how are you doing with those resolutions?

I decided long ago that making official resolutions was too depressing. Who wants to spend all that time, during the bleakest days of winter, thinking about all one's failings? And then one spends all that time, during the bleakest days of winter, trying to overcome all those failings. And finally one is overwhelmed with the realization, still during the bleakest days of winter, that one is probably never going to overcome all those failings.

I've nixed formal resolutions, but I just can't escape the feeling that the beginning of a new year is a good time for some personal assessment.

One thing I've been praying in this first month is, "Lord, help me to stop wishing and worrying so I can start working and worshipping."

I recognize that I spend too much time wishing certain aspects of my life and my world were different (wishing for spring, for one thing!). I also spend a lot of time worrying about things that I cannot control. If I spent less time wishing for change and worrying about things I can't change, I would be better able to work and worship.

On this last day of the first month, I anticipate a day of rest and worship. And I continue my New Year's prayer for my wishing and worrying to be replaced with working and worshipping.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home