Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

27 June 2005

Walking

Today began satisfyingly with devotions on the deck, followed by an hour-long walk.

It’s so humid that the seat of my shorts became clammy from the damp deck bench. There was so much pollen hanging in the hollow where the road crosses our creek that I felt as if I were breathing syrup. And, even though the sky was clear and there was no fog as I walked beside the river, objects on the other bank were obscured by a heavy gray haze.

I am walking not so much to maintain my health as to reclaim it. Even though I safeguard my early morning hours for writing, I believe I must somehow also make time for the regular exercise that I hope will alleviate some of my joint pain.

And announcing my plan publicly on this blog forces a measure of accountability, even if no one is reading this.

3 Comments:

Blogger covenantmom26 said...

I'm reading it, Glenda. I'm proud of you for walking in this Iowa summer weather. Doug and I were walking every evening with Dora until the hot, humid, sticky, awful weather set in. Guess I'll have to wait till October to go back outside!

6/27/05, 12:55 PM  
Blogger Glenda said...

It's tough to walk when it's so hot and humid. But it wasn't that bad early this morning, and I wasn't even too exhausted to get some work done today! Thanks for reading, Esther!

6/27/05, 2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that the entire world wide world knows, Glenda, you'll never be able to blow off your vow to exercise! Dunno about the wisdom of that ... I mean, I would never tell folks on the Web that I just decided to take up running again -- there's just too much pressure!

What's that? I did?!? When I said I would never??

*sigh* Guess it's time to go for a run. Seen my running shoes & dog layin' around?

7/2/05, 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home