Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

27 July 2005

Latin

Latin is a language of great economy. Strunk and White probably loved it; it omits unnecessary words. It not only dispenses with articles, but it also avoids all kinds of conjunctions. Its participles exemplify its terseness. A two-word Latin participle is often best translated as a new clause containing several words. Dale Grote calls it "promoting" the participle to a clause.

I've been reviewing Latin at a rate of one Wheelock chapter per week, doing as many of four sections of exercises as possible--all for no credit.

Why am I spending hours each week reviewing Latin without credit? Because it's been nine years since I took two elementary Latin courses and I need the review to be able to do my current directed study of two advanced Latin courses necessary to meet the foreign language requirement for my degree.

My first directed study project is translating the book of John from the Vulgate. Since I hope to have it completed before Thanksgiving, I spent some time yesterday determining the deadlines necessary to meet that goal. I had the first two chapters complete and was working on the third. If I can do the entire fourth chapter today, I will be on my new schedule: a chapter each week from now until Thanksgiving. The chapters average 45 verses; the longest is 71 and the shortest is 25. Since I have to look up a lot of words, it takes me a long time to translate 45 verses.

If Latin translation was the only thing I had to do during any given week, it wouldn't be a problem. But I have several different work commitments and a family. Sometimes I need to travel or work outside my office, and I know from experience how far behind on my regular deadlines that can make me.

I might even enjoy studying Latin if it were the only thing I had to do. Its economy leads to a flexibility in translation that can be exhilarating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home