Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

30 January 2006

Devotion

Yesterday our pastor had some words of wisdom about the importance of devotions. He was talking about how people think they need another cup of coffee on a bad morning, but he said, "Don't have another cup; have another psalm; have another devotion."

I highly recommend the Tabletalk devotional from Ligonier Ministries, which I've used for years with great profit. The only problem is the next month's issue arrives so early that I sometimes misplace it. That happened in January and I spent most of the month trying to find the "good place" where I'd put my January issue. I couldn't even remember receiving a January issue and when I realized that it was nearly the end of January and I hadn't received a February issue, I began to fear the unthinkable: I'd allowed my subscription to expire.

So I called Ligonier and found out that my subscription runs through 2008, and the helpful folks sent me my missing issues. They arrived the same day as my regular February issue. I guess I simply misplaced that illusive January issue.

In any case, I was finally able to use Tabletalk for my morning devotions today and the experience has greatly impressed upon me the importance of regular, personal devotions.

I was able to concentrate on the brief scripture, but as soon as I began to read the meditation, my mind was filled with distracting images of a sin from my long-buried past. As I began my regular practice of writing out my prayer, I felt as if I hardly knew how to think or pray. I realized how easy it is for me to become consumed with concern about my family or my work. My main problem this morning was my recurring feeling that I am just not doing enough in my efforts to write for the Lord. Suddenly I realized that this feeling might not spring so much from a godly desire to serve the Lord wholeheartedly, but rather might be yielding to the sin of feeling discontent and frustrated instead of resting and trusting in God.

But there was more to my struggle with sin this morning. As I realized how important times of regular devotion are, my thoughts were immediately directed toward another member of my family and my perception of the lack of devotion in that person's life. My thinking was so warped that I allowed the splinter in my loved one's eye to obscure the log in my own.

My personal devotions this morning opened my eyes to the reality of our struggle, not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, powers, and the rulers of darkness in this present world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home