Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

20 December 2006

Knowing Nothing

"And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God" (1 Corninthians 2:1-5, ESV).

God sometimes makes amazing connections in my mind. Yesterday I was wondering if I should give up writing altogether because I know nothing. Today I began reading Before We Get Started: A Practical Memoir of the Writer's Life by Bret Lott. He confesses that "...the longer I write--and this is the one sure thing I know about writing--the harder it gets, and the more I hold close the truth that I know nothing" (pp. 12-13).

Struck by that timely discovery, I turned to today's scripture reading in my Tabletalk devotional from Ligonier Ministries and R.C. Sproul and read the above scripture passage. While it primarily speaks to the importance of Christ's atonement on the cross, it also speaks to me about the value of knowing nothing.

If writing continues to grow more difficult for Bret Lott and if he continues to grasp the truth that he knows nothing, and if the Apostle Paul chose to know nothing but Christ so that God would be glorified in spite of his weakness and fear, then I may be in good company.

I do not come proclaiming anything with lofty speech or wisdom. Everything I do is with fear and much trembling. My speech and my message are not in plausible words of wisdom. But I know Christ and him crucified, and I trust in the power of God. He is able to demonstrate the Spirit, even in my weakness and ignorance, for the strengthening of faith and for His glory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home