Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

16 September 2005

Vacation

Returning from a three-day vacation today and discovering less than 300 posts in my inbox made me feel slightly...well...slighted. I expected more. Didn't anybody miss me?

Then there's nothing for getting back to reality like discovering that the septic tank is clogged. We had a water problem in the basement right before we left, and Dave and a drain cleaning guy spent most of Monday trying to figure it out. As soon as we returned today, Dave rented a backhoe and began digging down to the drainage tubing. He wasn't finding the problem, so he called in the drainage guy expert again. They finally unearthed the septic tank and discovered that the inlet and outlet are plugged with tree roots. Since we live in the woods, this is not a big surprise. Dave will need to do more digging tomorrow and try to remove the roots. Then we will need to hire someone to pump out the tank. So we will have the drainage guy bill, the backhoe rental bill, and the septic tank pumper bill. $$$$$$$

If we had known this was about to happen, we would never have spent money on a vacation (short though it was). We had made the reservations weeks ago, and we went with the attitude that we were going to enjoy it, which we did.

I was so busy trying to meet all my deadlines before I left that I didn't have time to blog. And now, it's like the vacation has been totally eclipsed by the septic tank saga.

I defy depression! I will post vacation pictures!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember, Glenda: One man's sewage is another man's ... OK, it's still sewage.

But on the bright side, clearly God wanted you to have a vacation, or He would have sped up the root growth just a smidge and filled your basement with the pleasant byproducts thereof before you could hop in the car. So you obviously have been following God's will!

Tell Dave to be careful on the backhoe, and let us know how that saga ends, eh?

9/19/05, 3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home