Ascribelog

Taking thoughts captive

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Favorite smells: mown hay, turned earth, summer rain, line-dried laundry

08 February 2006

The Blame Game

My morning devotions from Ligonier's Tabletalk reminded me how our first parents tried to shirk responsibility for their actions by blaming their sin on someone else.

Adam even dared to suggest that it was all God's fault; after all, it was God who gave Adam the woman in the first place. And Eve isn't much better, spouting the original version of "The devil made me do it."

This morning I was struck anew by how this "blame game" is such a universal characteristic of human nature. I have often been amazed by how well I can identify with the foibles of human nature portrayed in the writings of Early American poets, Victorian novelists, Shakespeare, Chaucer, and even classical Roman authors. But this is going as far back as one can go, to the very first man and woman on earth.

And their response when confronted with their sin is remarkably similar to my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home